Popeye had the right idea. You know it's true. Spinach is not only good for you, it's delicious. Especially when you give it the Indian treatment.
One of my favorite Indian dishes is saag (sah-g). Basically the Indian version of creamed spinach. I order it every single time I go out for Indian food. Nothing is more satisfying than scooping up a mound of saag with naan (nah-n: Indian flatbread). Heaven.
So, I decided it was about time I learned to make this wonderful dish so I could have it any time I wanted. I scoured the internet until I found one that looked like an authentic recipe that included fresh spinach, cream, and traditional Indian spices.
Happily, this recipe brought together two of my favorite things. First, one of my favorite vegetables: spinach. And a lot of it! Second, one of my Top 5 favorite kitchen appliances: the Cuisinart food processor! Works wonders.
| A 1 lb. container of spinach compliments of Costco. |
| Wonder machine! |
Lest I go off on a severe tangent in an ode to that God-send of a machine, I will move on and tell you about saag.
It starts will oil and onions and garlic and the spices. You can tell there's turmeric because of the yellow-orange color.
Then comes the main ingredient: spinach. At first there's so much it's like a mountain of spinach that might overcome the pot, but heat and steam eventually get the best of it and it cooks down.
Then the magic happens. You take all of the yumminess in the pot and puree it in the processor, making it into a green glob of goodness. And to this goodness you add yogurt and cream.
| After |
| Before |
Then the magic happens. You take all of the yumminess in the pot and puree it in the processor, making it into a green glob of goodness. And to this goodness you add yogurt and cream.
Now for the big finish. Serve with a piece of your favorite flavor naan. In my case, that is garlic naan. And there you have it: a delicious and nutritious Indian inspired snack.
आप का खाना स्वादिष्ट हो (Hindi for "Delicious food for you") Ain't it the truth!
| I could eat this picture! |
So, until next time, enjoy whatever is in your bowl this week!

im impressed with your food bravery- i would never even think to attempt a dish like this!
ReplyDeleteYou're making this next weekend!!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete