A Place for Food and Fun

Join me as I explore the wonderful world of food.

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Stick Fish

And then there was Friday. Since meat is a Lenten Friday No-No, I decided to have fish sticks, aka stick fish (childhood reference). But first, I had to make them.

A few ingredients, a couple of steps, and you've got stick fish!

Lucky for me, wild-caught Alaskan Cod was on sale at the local market. After slicing the filet into strips (ignoring the fishy smell), it was time to coat them in breadcrumbs.

The Breading Station
Coat each strip in egg then breadcrumbs (continuing to ignore the fishy smell). I chose panko, Japanese style breadcrumbs that are bigger than regular breadcrumbs and more irregular in shape.

Once they are all coated in egg and crumbs, it's time for pan frying!

The Frying Station
Fry a few at a time, turning every few minutes until browned on all sides (enjoying the fried fish smell).


Let them drain on a paper towel before you enjoy. This process rids the fish of a bit of the extra fat and gives you an opportunity to admire your handy work.

As you may notice in the top left portion of the photo, there may be some casualties. Face it, fish isn't made of steel. Besides, it still tastes good!

You can still trust the Gorton's Fisherman . . . at least for the fishing part!

1 comment:

  1. I never made my own stick fish before. I didn't know it would be so easy. I really like the pics. I think I'd like the fish too!

    ReplyDelete